Sunday, December 19, 2010

On the Gays and the Jews

Even a cursory examination of the history and culture of the Western world would demonstrate the outsized importance (in comparison to their population) of Jews and Gays.
Artists, writers, innovators, wherever you look you're going to find Jews and Gays.
This, although it sounds rather troll-full, is fairly self evident.
My question is: why?
Why indeed?
Modern Judaism (the past 1000 or so) practically requires literacy as a tenant of belief. Uh, so maybe that's part of it. And maybe I'm drawing a correlation (Gays and Jews) which doesn't exist. Perhaps I'm just doing it because it seems like a shocking thing to say. Ooh -- I'm being "provocative".
The thing of it is though, it seems to be true.
This question has been on my mind for some time and I don't really know what more to think of it.
Perhaps something that they have in common is an "outsider" status in our culture. Perhaps there is something innate in being able to look at a culture from slightly outside it, or by having a foot in another culture, which is illuminating and bears the fruit of innovation.
I don't really know. All I know is that I've otherwise wasted your time reading this rumination. When you've gotten it all figured out, though, make sure to get back to me.
In the meantime, here's a picture of Meydl, thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment