Friday, February 4, 2011

The Ninny State

Or: All About Me
So the New York City Council just voted to ban smoking in parks and public beaches.
Meh.
We've had a small slew of nanny-state laws over the last several years.
The cleaning up of Times Square: I don't really go to Times Square. Actually, I actively avoid it. I'd probably go there if there were more hookers and drugs available there. Result: doesn't affect me.
The ban on trans fats: I went into a bakery where the guy behind the counter was complaining that he was going to have to change all his recipes. All I could think of was "I think that you changing all your recipes is a good thing." I mostly went to that bakery for its free ATM. Result: doesn't affect me.
The ban on smoking in parks: I don't smoke. You'd think I wouldn't care. But I've never been bothered by someone smoking at a public park. The smell of dog poo at the dog run? Holy cow, yes. That's bothered me. I usually hold my breath while walking by the one in Washington Square Park. I'm more bothered by those freaking "gauntlets" of smokers huddling outside the front entrances of buildings. But I think we banned those too. Result: doesn't affect me.
Forcing Chain Restaurants to List the Calories of their Menu Items: Okay, you got me. This has dissuaded me from buying a lot of doughnuts. As it's a New York City law, and not a New Jersey law, it's made me buy my doughnuts in Jersey City. But in New York City I just stay away from the fast food chains. I'm sure that Trois Pommes has done less good for my weight than Tim Horton ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment