Saturday, August 13, 2011

Presidential Glass Ceiling

Caribou Barbie is funny, but Bible Spice is an even better name for Sarah Palin.
And this actually belies the point I'm going to make.
I think that Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and Michelle Bachman have smashed the glass ceiling of a woman becoming President of the United States. None of the passed through that ceiling, but my immeasurably prescient reading of the zeitgeist of  America says that it's so.
The press and Washington politics have been, quite simply, mean to Hillary Clinton. Since day 1. For Sarah Palin they waited until she showed herself to be as idiotic as she really is. And although the press take much glee in making fun of Bachman, it's because of the stupid that emerges from her mouth that they make fun of her. And boy, does she spew a lot of stupid.
My point is that it feels to me (and by that I mean when I go into a trance and ask the B'nurb of the Otherworld whether 'tis true or 'tis lies) that we, as a country, have gotten past having a woman as head of state.
Er. Now I'd like to amend all that. I think my conclusion is true but it occurs to me that Condoleezza Rice might be as much responsible as Clinton, Palin, and Bachman. Rice seems very smart. She backed some fantastically stupid policies. I mean, stunningly stupid. But unlike Palin and Bachman she seems very very smart. And yeah, if she weren't all decked out in the nicest suits the stupid press would have been all over her about it (like every time Clinton changed her haircut). But she seemed to be someone who could make reasonable decisions. Which is surprising, because she didn't. But she seemed like she could.
+++++
I would like a boring government. One that isn't just crazytime. Can we have some sound fiscal and economic policies? No? How about the economics of a five-year-old? That's what the Tea Party is, as far as I can tell. So the S&P just came out and said that talk of defaulting was what lowered the US's credit rating.
Just about the worst thing the Republicans could do would be to make Bachman their candidate. If I were a Republican I would revolt and start another party without the Tea Party nonsense people in it. Or, like most of them, just vote Democrat.
Because let's face it, Barack Obama is the best Republican President in like forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment