Saturday, March 19, 2011

Rebecca Black

Do I have important noise to add to the screaming around Rebecca Black? Why yes, yes I do.


  1. When I first saw the video I thought "Wow, she does not look like the sort of teen a major label would pick up. She looks like... well... a girl."
  2. Then I realized that she'd just made a video on her own. She is, in fact, just a girl who made a video of a song. Not on a major label.
  3. So what's with all the hate? How, precisely, is this song substantively different from any other pop song? Have you ever listened to the radio? But seriously, what's the difference between this and other songs? Do you think it's because it's a heavily auto-tuned vocal set to an electronic track in 4/4 with an accent on the second and fourth beats of the measure? If so, you better sit down because I have some very bad news for you.
  4. OK, so she's a 13-year-old girl who sang a song you don't like. Big deal. Hey, at least she sang a song. What have you done? Oh. Posted comments on YouTube. Well excuse me then.
  5. So then the hate turned onto this company the Ark Music Factory. Because, dear Lord, the girl's parents paid them to write a song and produce a video -- for $2000. Now note that Ark made a single with an unknown teenage girl -- they wrote and produced and mixed it -- and I thought it was a single put out by a major label. You probably did too. I'm a professional in both the Sound and Picture fields and if you'd told me the single cost about $15,000 and the video was another $40,000 I'd have said "That sounds about right." If they really did do the work for $2000 they are seriously being underpaid.
  6. Hey society, way to go policing girls to make sure they don't do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment