Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pride on 8th Street

Sitting on my perch in Jersey City I am renowned for my analysis of the zeitgeist of America. My finger is on the pulse of the youth of today.
This year's Gay Pride parade in New York has me dehydrated. And my wrists hurt from waving (seriously).
Coming two days after the vote legalizing gay marriage in the State of New York, this Pride Day feels somewhat different than Pride's of years past. I'm willing to admit that I may very well be projecting, but my feeling is that with all the celebration of Pride there's been a veneer or an underlying current of anger. Anger about discrimination, oppression, violence, AIDS.
But this year feels like a (bridal) veil has been lifted. The palpable joy, literally in the streets, comes without the hesitation of that bit of rage for once, because we've won such an important victory for human rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment